Up-to-date coverage with contributions from more than 100 content experts in pathology and physical therapy.
Revised content throughout provides the most current information required to be an effective practitioner.
Full-color interior design, photos, and illustrations visually reinforce key concepts.
A Therapist's Thoughts offers personal and clinical insights from experienced therapists specializing in cancer, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, women’s health, lymphedema, psychological problems, and much more.
Special Implications for the Therapist boxes provide information and ideas to consider when formulating a plan of care that addresses precautions, contraindications, and best practice specific to physical therapy.
Current information on conditions, medical testing and treatment, and practice models keeps students up to date on the latest research findings and recent changes in the field.
Key information presented in an at-a-glance format is organized by body system for easy reference.
Basic science information addresses the clinical implications of disease within the rehabilitation process, covering common illnesses and diseases, adverse effects of drugs, organ transplantation, laboratory values, and much more.
Coverage includes updated information on standard precautions.
Separate chapter addresses laboratory tests and values that are important in physical therapy practice.
Separate appendix provides guidelines for activity and exercise.
A focus on health promotion and disease prevention is featured throughout the text.
Table of Contents
SECTION I: INTRODUCTION
1. Introduction to Concepts of Pathology
2. Epigenetics: Behavioral, Social, and Environmental Factors
3. Physiologic Self-Regulation: The Intersection with Mental, Social, and Emotional Well-Being
4. Environmental and Occupational Medicine
5. Problems Affecting Multiple Systems
6. Injury, Inflammation, Healing, and Repair
SECTION II: CLINICAL MEDICINE
7. The Immune System
8. Infectious Disease
10. The Integumentary System
11. The Endocrine and Metabolic Systems
12. The Cardiovascular System
13. The Lymphatic System
14. The Hematologic System
15. The Respiratory System
16. The Gastrointestinal System
17. The Hepatic, Pancreatic, and Biliary Systems
18. The Renal and Urologic Systems
19. The Male Genital/Reproductive System
20. The Female Genital/Reproductive System
SECTION III: PATHOLOGY OF THE MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM
22. Introduction to Pathology of the Musculoskeletal System
23. Genetic and Developmental Disorders
24. Metabolic Disorders
25. Infectious Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System
26. Musculoskeletal Neoplasms
27. Soft Tissue, Joint and Bone Disorders
SECTION IV: PATHOLOGY OF THE NERVOUS SYSTEM
28. Introduction to Central Nervous System Disorders
29. Infectious Disorders of the Central Nervous System
30. Central Nervous System Neoplasms
31. Degenerative Diseases of the Central Nervous System
33. Traumatic Brain Injury
34. Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
35. Cerebral Palsy
38. Vestibular Disorders
39. The Peripheral Nervous System
SECTION V: IMPORTANT RESOURCES
40. Laboratory Tests and Values
Appendix A: Guidelines for Activity and Exercise
No. of pages: 1800
Copyright: © Elsevier 2020
Published: 9th October 2020
Hardcover ISBN: 9780323673556
About the Authors
Affiliations and Expertise
Medical Multimedia Group, Faculty Affiliate, University of Montana, Missoula, MT
Affiliations and Expertise
ABPTS Board Certified Specialist in Neurologic Physical Therapy, Co-owner South Valley Physical Therapy, P.C., Denver, CO, Clinical Instructor, Physical Therapy Program, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, CO